Sunday, May 29, 2011

Zombie All Gun Match Today....

Yesterday, I participated in the Zombie Shooters Association monthly Zombie All Gun match. It's kinda of like three gun except there is no particular rule that says I can only use three guns...awesome! For lack of the baby stroller and troop of gunbearers I took only three guns. For my rifle I chose my 10/22 with 3-9xreally big objective scope as the engagement ranges were well suited to rimfire rifle. For my shotgun I took along my trusty Mossberg 835 with 20" barrel and fiber optic sights, as well as Tacstar 6 round side saddle. My sidearm, of course, had to be a revolver(or else I'd lose cool points). So I opted for my trusty Smith and Wesson 610 Classic. There isn't much classic left in it with the super light trigger job, shaved hammer, extended firing pin, fiber optic sights and ghastly effective chamfer job. Needless to say it's a target blasting beast that runs like a fox on fire.

The match provided a good mix of close and far handgun shots with the right amount of "hose fest" and tight shots. I was really impressed with the level of effort put into the match design on such very short notice as the Match Director had been away all week on family business. The rifle was a bit on the close side with the shots ranging out to a cool 50 yards which was well within the grasp of my 10/22. Had the rifle and magazine combo functioned a bit better, I would have been a lot better off. Had I cleaned the rifle after the previous practice session and before the match it may have helped. As many may have guessed the revolver and pump shotgun combination was nearly flawless with only one hiccup each, both of which can be traced back to the operator. I chose three videos which were free of malfunctions and also included the revolver, since long gun only stages are flat out boring to watch. So I humbly sumbit stages one, three and four to showcase an amazing new discipline of shooting.

I appologize for the lack of detail in stage four, but seeing as a fellow shooter had just been DQ'd  for a gross safety violation nobody but the shooter and RO were allowed into the hot stage. The stage was set up with 1 infected target visible while holding the door handle and a zombie at the end of the hall which had to be shot before entering the hallway for a 12 to 15 yard shot. The first room on the left contained two infected targets, while the first room on the right contained only one infected target.  The second room on the left contained another infected target and across the hall the room on the right contained one zombie at the downrange end and right at the 180 an infected lay in wait. The end of the hallway revealed a large open area with 5 infected targets and 5 steel plates. Your shotgun was waiting loaded and chambered on the couch after you engaged the paper targets. The array of infected targets was one to the extreme right and left, one at a forty-five degree angle from strait down range right and left, and a final target directly out in front of the shooter behind the hallway zombie. Hopefully this makes sense out of the video for you.
Stage 4


On stage three the shooter started in the vehicle on their knees with their rifle at low ready loaded with only eight rounds. On the signal the shooter engaged eight zombies with one head shot each, safed the rifle and dismounted the vehicle. Upon exiting the vehicle there were six infected targets to neutralize and the opportunity to make up any missed head shots with the handgun. I did not need this opportunity, however I did skip over one target with the rifle and had to go back to it. It went like this, "1,2,3,4,5,6,7 oh crap you're at the end of the targets! Quick, find the one you passed over doofus! Shoot it! Don't just look at it dummy!" Thankfully it did not take as long to complete as it seemed. The revolver ran really well on the outside of the van and I was pleased to have recorded the fastest time in my squad for a clean run on the stage.
Stage 3

Stage one was a seemingly fairly simple exercise. If you listen closely, other shooters are talking about the plate rack and how they approached it. They were apparently quite impressed with the plate rack bonus target challenge. Many shooters failed to properly manage their time on the stage; expending more time and ammo at the bonuses than seconds they could save. Lesson: If you can't hit the bonus targets with any efficiency and they are optional, don't exceed your ability and waste time. I was not quite as amused when I failed to clean the plate rack in the first cylinder. The one missed plate was not worth an extra reload so I moved on to step two of the plan. I reloaded and shot all the near zombies so that I could better navigate the infected targets at a higher speed. If I can keep the gun in one gear and get the results I need, I see no reason not to do a little bit of prep work to make that happen. I really enjoyed this stage as it was an easy one to shine on if you could shoot at distance and having a little speed in your pocket was an added bonus. Second Lesson: Anytime you can efficiently move closer to an array of targets to increase your accuracy do so. To potshoot from a distance is silly when a twenty yard hustle will save you split time and double your hit potential. Note to self: SOMEDAY I will actually start to shoot on the move a little more.

The pause near the end was an almost double coverage on an already shot target.
Stage 1

Thanks for your interest and don't hesitate to drop me a comment or become a follower. From one will hopefully grow many.

1 comment: