Monday, May 23, 2011

Virginia-Maryland Sectionals...Lessons Learned

This past weekend I attended the 2011 Virginia-Maryland Sectional. The match featured nine stages and a 251 minimum round count. I was fortunate to fire the match on Friday with most of the other revolver shooters in the same squad. After my giant meltdown I was fortunate to shoot well enough to pull off High C Class coming back from 5 mistakes.
 Our squad started on Stage 2 and I came out with 1 C and 1 M. The C,M came to me on a very long target where I put a round through a barrel or a wall. The lessons learned from this stage are to practice longer shots until they are consistent and also to practice entry and exit from ports. I tried some different foot work at the last minute and it was totally unsuitable for my style of shooting and skill level.
  
Stage 3 was where I had a decision to make: foot speed or reload efficiency. I chose reload efficiency and it put me up for a long shot and I ended up with two deltas on this stage.  In discussing it later I believe I could have run up on those targets and made better hits for a higher hit factor than taking the sniper shots.

Stage 4 was a stage that screamed FOOTWORK and POSITION from the out set. With a little more hustle I could have really done well on this stage.  I needed to run to that third position instead of loping. With time I will gain more confidence in my reloads and be more reckless with my speed on the stage.

Stage 5 was rolling until I reloaded early and blew my plan up. I ended running by a target for a fun and exciting 2 misses and a failure to engage penalty. Do over?
Stage 6 was a disaster after I hit the static no shoot and racked up a penalty and a miss. To top it off I left a position early and had to come back for a target. The texas star then took forever and I just did not feel good about that stage at all.
Stage 7 was a turning point for the better and went well, of course I didn't get it on video.
Stage 8 went really well and for C class revolver shooter I burned it down. By this point I was certainly shooting just for fun and the whole revolver division had beaten me so I decided to go for it from left to right as fast as I could move and pull the trigger. Well that worked out really well for me.
Stage 9 was the land of the sloooow swingers. It was weird how some people had to wait and others did not. They were not all that consistent. My right side swinger went on vacation. When it came back I found out that I needed to practice one legged shooting stances a bit more.
Stage 1 was the ultimate memory array and thankfully Ii made a good plan. Others were not so fortunate and suffered misses and FTE's or the long scan.

Many thanks to my fellow competitors Mike Wilczek and Robe Burkindine for their gracious efforts in videoing my runs. Thanks guys!




Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 8
Stage 9

Stage 1

If you enjoyed this or feel it needs work feel free to leave comments; they are appreciated either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment