Saturday, February 26, 2011

Different disciplines and revolver...Part 1

Different disciplines obviously change the game for every shooter, but can affect the revolver shooter more so due to various equipment requirements, and course design.

In IDPA,where I started, the equipment requirements are more restrictive than any other discipline.
  The rules regulate the placement of the holster so the trigger pad is behind the centerline of the shooter...this gives you a slight advantage over the auto in having the gun a bit more forward. Cant must be vertical or muzzle rearward...the latter of which I have no preference for because it necessitates the gun being further from the opening in my concealment garment and a point about the ammunition carriers. I run a safariland custom fit 568 and it does just fine for me. When I get better...I'll go for a kydex speed demon.

 The ammo carriers are specified to be 3 on the weakside behind the centerline or two in front of the holster and one behind the holster. Being a swap reloader I prefer the ammo carriers clustered around my holster. I currently run the california competition with the compliance devices. I recently got to try the North Mountain IDPA model and I like it a lot and am going to order one. 

Be prepared to be highly handicapped by some stages especially poorly designed ones that run you almost to twelve before reaching a reload point. Learn how to shoot accurately early in this sport. In indoor the shots are shorter and more rapid combined with the tightness of the stage. You should be close to the autos in getting to twelve here. Outdoor is a little more difficult because they can back the shots up more and cover can be widespread.

No comments:

Post a Comment