Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A supposed hiatus from shooting

  I recently had to pass on three matches this past weekend to attend the funeral of my beloved Grandfather in Pennsylvania. He lived to be 84 and passed away from pre-existing breathing issues and other complications which were exacerbated by a recent car accident. I miss him dearly, but his passing was not unexpected and our families were prepared. May he rest peacefully.

  With the arrangements not yet set in stone I did what any crazy revolver shooter would do...packed a suit and two bags...one full of clothes and the other full of match gear. Some may find it a little sacreligious to do such a thing, but there is only so much family time a person can take and arrangements had not yet been made. I figured a great way to deal with the emotional stress was to go out and meet new shooters and learn how other clubs put on matches. I had only one problem....I had decided I would take one gun and only one gun. After all I was driving my grieving mother and my father up to the funeral and could not afford the extra space.  I went with a new to me 646 and both an IDPA and USPSA setup which all fit marvelously in a small tool bag with ammo, carriers and holster.

I went online and looked up USPSA matches in the area and finally set my sights on one that I thought would be easy to make and contacted the match director to make certain they were planning on having a match that weekend. This was a good thing because they ended up cancelling due to range drainage issues and I recieved an email to that effect.  USPSA local match....dead in the water....oh no! On to the bailout plan....find an IDPA match and go to it! Luckily for me I had painstakingly decided to leave my 5" 625 at home and bring my super cool 3 and a whole lotta change" 646 .40 instead. Having an IDPA legal gun and setup was a game saver in the end, as this club turned out to be very cool and probably would've let me shoot my USPSA gun/gear there, but some won't.

The match was incredible for a local match. $15 bought six stages 5 of which had props with one standard 12 shot 2 string stage. There was house clearing with drop turners and and a waving mover. A six shot stage with two pieces of steel that when hit activated two dropout paper targets. A car stage where shots occured in and out of the car. A stage where a kicked over popper started a mover across the stage on a wire..with non threats in tow..very cool. Another scenario stage had me tac loading twice to engage the array which included 4 shots from one position a jog behind cover and a tac load to bring on a long steel activator and super close dropout threat which then made for an obstructed finish. Brilliant! Thanks to the match directors for a challenging diversion in difficult times.

1 comment:

  1. Forrest

    Sorry about your Grandfather..Glad you got some trigger time in PA. Looking forward to shooting with you. Gonna git sum Zombies April 9th at Eagle 1.Hope you can make it.

    JH

    ReplyDelete