Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Forgotten Art of the Speedloader....at least by me.

Recently I recieved two new caliber conversions for my Dillon 550 in .40 S&W and .38 Special. The ability to crank out .38's is much appreciated as it's a fun caliber to shoot, but single staging the rounds took forever. As a result my speedloader-fed guns were left unshot.  Armed with my two slicked up/chopped up revolvers I headed off to the local farmer's gravel pit. Shot to shot splits seemed a bit quicker with the 120PF .38 loads and were a welcome relief from the 165PF .45's. Reloads started out being quite laughable on the north side of 5 seconds. After about 150 rounds fired my personal best was a 3.04 out of a 2" model 10.  My 581 wasn't quite as fast due to some trigger issues that have since been resolved.  It really surprised me how accurate the little snubnose 10 was
So there's work to be done in this area and now that I have the production abilities there's no excuse to leave them out of the practice rotation. I suppose with the right amount of practice they should be just as competitive as the moonclip guns. I just have to figure out what the right speedloader holders are now.



Side note: Farmers tend to be awfully friendly folks in my experience.  If you express an interest in helping them out with pests such as groundhogs or a general lend a hand when needed attitude you can luck into a cheap place to shoot.  A certain mastery of the art of conversation is needed as these folks tend to be quite conversant and inquisitive, but I like to talk. The particular farmer who is gracious enough to let me use his gravel pit often stops by to watch my practice. This serves two great functions...it keeps me on my toes performance wise and gives a good opportunity to share my sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment