Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Weekend of USPSA

This weekend I was priviledged to attend two USPSA matches in two different states this weekend. The best part of the weekend was getting to see my friends from both groups in the same time period. I find it funny to see several other shooters getting their shooting fix at both matches just like me.  The first match was at Sir Walter Gun Club and was a hot mess. I'll be honest with you and say that I only ran three stages close to well.

I won the stage entitled Credit Card Slide where the shooter had to open the first port by swiping a steel card through a slot. The port opened and you drew and engaged three paper targets and then moved to an array of two mini poppers, a paper target, and two mini poppers. The catch was that one of the poppers both opened the second port and activated a down and back target in the third array. Good luck trying to catch it with a revolver with the reload in between the popper and the dynamic paper. Two quick A headshots solved that problem and the stage was over.

Stage Two was the classifier Fluffy's Revenge 1. I shot a 72% on this stage even with my super cool miss an makeup on the steel. I don't like Fluffy, but I do well on them.

Stage 3 started with six pieces of steel and then moved all over the place. I could have done better wth my positions and footwork. All in all it worked out ok here.

Before Stage 4could start John Zaczek made kissy faces at me and I retaliated with an french kissy face to the amusement of the squad. There were two paper targets in the left and right ports of barrel world. The center port contained two more paper targets and a series of four plates one behind the other. Easy stuff, had I not had a stiff ejection in one of the reloads. It never ceases to amaze me how long I think things take and how quickly they happen on video.

Stage 7 I did ok on except for the delta on the first paper. The footwork and positioning must get better if I am to get better. Not everything is bull in a china shop drag racing.

Thanks to Ken Kiesler for graciously recording my performance. See Ken's shooting here: My YouTube Vids

I did not record any video of the Fredericksburg match the next day because it was only myself and one other revolver shooter: The Great Mike Wilczek. We had great fun and Mike actually clobbered me on one stage with his minor .38 Short Colts. It was an excellent performance on his part and I regret not capturing it on video. The classifier was Bang and Clang and I shot it in 4.97 clean. That is a 54.97% but it's good enough to get me into B Class. I won the match, but Mike is a worthy opponent that does not let you get away with many mistakes. It was great shooting with you again Mike!

No comments:

Post a Comment